Mulled wine is often a traditional drink in European countries around the holidays and while recipes may vary from culture to culture, it is often made with red wine, mulling spices and served warm. Mulled wine has also traditionally been made with sugar and today it is common to boil the spices in a sugar syrup before red wine is added. Our recipe reduces some of the sugar in the traditional recipe and replaces it with stevia, preserving the sweet spiciness that comes with taking a drink of this warm beverage.
Follow the steps below to make our version of this festive, winter drink that will have you clinking your glass with cheer.
- 1 bottle Dry red wine (750 ml)
- ½ cup Apple cider
- 1 whole Fresh orange
- 3 whole Cinnamon sticks
- 2 whole Star anise
- 6 whole Cloves
- 5 packets Stevia (Purevia)
- Cut orange in quarters.
- Zest one quarter of the orange.
- Combine apple cider, zest and fresh spices.
- Bring the spiced cider to a simmer (covered) and steep for about 30 minutes.
- Add red wine to the simmering spiced cider and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.
- Optional: Cut leftover orange into thin slices or wedges.
For more recipes with stevia, visit our Stevia Recipe Center.